This visa category has historically intrigued many people and it also has a few misconceptions. Below we simplify and clarify the frequently asked questions.
The Cabinet Resolution No. 56 of 2018 regarding the Organization of Residence Permits for Investors, Entrepreneurs and Professional Talent regulated the granting golden visas to:
- Specialized talents and researchers in various fields of science and knowledge.
- Bright students with promising scientific capabilities.
Eligibility for a 10-year visa
The following categories are entitled to apply for a 10-year residence visa in the UAE.
1. Investors / Entrepreneurs in public investments of at least AED 10 million
- The investment may take many forms such as:
• A deposit of at least AED 10 million in an investment fund inside the country
• Establishing a company in the UAE with a capital of not less than AED 10 million
- Partnering in an existing or a new company with a share value of not less than AED10 million
- Having a total investment of not less than AED 10 million in all areas mentioned, on condition that the investment in sectors other than real estate is not less than 60 per cent of the total investment.
The amount invested must not be loaned. The investment should be retained for at least three years and there should be a financial solvency up to AED 10 million.
This visa category can be extended to include business partners, on the condition that each partner contributes AED 10 million. The visa can also include the spouse and children, as well as one executive director and one advisor.
2. Persons with specialised talents
This includes specialised talents and researchers in the fields of science and knowledge such as doctors, specialists, scientists, inventors, as well as creative individuals in the field of culture and art. The visa advantage extends to the spouse and children. All categories are required to have a valid employment contract in a specialised field of a priority in the UAE.
- Scientists must be accredited by Emirates Scientists Council or holders of the Mohammed Bin Rashid Medal for Scientific Excellence.
- Creative individuals in culture and art must be accredited by Ministry of Culture and Youth.
- Inventors must obtain a patent of value, which adds to the UAE’s economy. Patents must be approved by Ministry of Economy.
- Exceptional talents must be documented by patents or scientific research published in a world-class journal.
- Executives must be owners of a leading and internationally recognized company or holders of a high academic achievement and position.
- Doctors and specialists must meet at least two of the following conditions:
- A Ph. D. degree from one of the top 500 universities in the world (refer to ICA for information)
- An award or certificates of appreciation in the field of the applicant’s work
- Contribution to major scientific research in the respective field of work
- Published articles or scientific books in distinguished publications in the respective field of work
- Membership in an organisation related to the field
- A Ph. D. degree, in addition to 10-year professional experience in his field
- Specialisation in areas of priority to the UAE.
Eligibility for a 5-year visa
The following categories are entitled to apply for a 5-year residence visa in the UAE.
1. Investors in a property in the UAE
- The investor must invest in a property of a gross value of not less than AED 5 million.
- The amount invested in real estate must not be on loan basis.
- The property must be retained for at least three years.
1. This category includes those having an existing project with a minimum capital of AED 500,000, or those who have the approval of an accredited business incubator in the country.The entrepreneur is allowed a multi-entry visa for six months, renewable for another six months. The long-term visa includes the spouse and children, a partner and three executives.
3. Outstanding Students
- Outstanding students with a minimum grade of 95 per cent in public and private secondary schools
- University students within and outside the country having a distinction GPA of at least 3.75 upon graduation.
- Long-term visa includes families of the outstanding students.